Over time, the Co-op school has matured from a small parent-run family daycare to a fully staffed, parent-aided pre-school. Member families are responsible for the development, fundraising and maintenance of the school. The Director is responsible for daily operations, supervision of staff and curriculum development. The Business Director is responsible for managing the financial matters of the school. Each classroom has a lead teacher and two or three assistant teachers or aides who care for and teach the children. As the school has grown we have found it necessary to have additional paid positions: custodian and security guard. The Board of Directors, which is elected from the membership, governs the school and is responsible for long-term vision and planning.
Each Board member leads a committee on which community members serve. These committees are responsible for many tasks including: development, fundraising, education, staff development, communications, community events, and more.
Participation of each family is critical for the effective operation of the school. The cooperative model also provides great benefit for the members through the unique ownership and sense of belonging it builds.
RESPONSIBILITIES FOR EACH FAMILY:
- Provide classroom snacks approximately twice a year
- Participate in school space clean up once a year
- Participate in fundraising tasks set by the fundraising committee
- Serve actively on a committee
- Attend 2 to 3 annual general membership meetings (at least one parent represented)
- Have active listserv membership - at least one parent must subscribe via individual email