The Co-op School pre-school program offers a nurturing and stimulating curriculum. Based on the Bank Street model for early education, we provide a developmentally appropriate and child-focused environment for children. The following are some guiding principles that serve as the basis for our pre-school curriculum:
- Children learn as they play.
- Children learn to be socially interactive through play.
- Feeling, touching and creating through sensory activities enhance cognitive skills.
- Painting, pasting and participation in art activities allow children to express themselves creatively.
- Cutting, assembling and threading objects encourage the development of fine motor skills.
- Physical activity, such as balancing, crawling, dancing and jumping, helps to develop gross motor skills.
- Reading stories every day promotes literacy while exposing children to different cultures.
- Children thrive in an environment where positive interaction and communication is encouraged between children as well as between adults and children.
- Children learn best when teachers ask open-ended questions and interact with children on their eye level.